Aided by low pressure off the mid-Atlantic, it was a very fine September evening indeed. Nice enough to entice a whole dog-pile of rookies out to take a stab at their first-ever Time Trial. Welcome!! It hurts here, but people are pretty nice.
First and foremost,
Thanks to everyone that came out this year, we raised $1,170 to be donated to the ALS Society of Windsor-Essex.
There is a beautiful irony to really testing/abusing our own mobility to be able to restore a little to those who don’t get to make that choice anymore. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you for helping us to do this.
Secondly, RESULTS. It was indeed spicy; as stated, atmospheric pressure and the wicked wind from the east smiled upon us; that, and 6-odd months of hard work by y’all are reflected in the results. So many PBs and a few new CRs to boot!
Men’s Aero – Mr. Lionel Sanders. Thanks for comin’ out and beating up us mortals. Mt Oxley will need another 5 years to recover.
Women’s Aero – Kirsty Knaziew. Smokin’ HOT – 20th fastest time of the year. SHIZA
Men’s Eddy – Liam Brennan. Every month, driving home after TT, Liam says “I don’t think I’ll ever be able go that fast again.” AND HE MEANS IT. I stopped listening 3 months ago. So proud of my boy :)
Fist Bumps all around! You’re all winners, but we don’t give purple ribbons here.
Chris Duran, Duran
Rod the Rocket
Christian the Flying Panda
Brian the Unbearded
And, for the data hounds: the top 20 performances of the year.
2. Gordon, Patron Saint of Wheatley, sets a big PR on a 68 year-old fixed gear; now official holder of FDTT fixie course record.
Superb job, boys & girls! Rendezvous to follow the final TT of the season – September 1st, 2015. Details to follow on Facebook but please plan on joining us! Note that since this year is AWESOME and August has 5 weekends, the final TT falls before the Labour Day long weekend.
We are officially overdue for good weather, possibly doubly so. When riders open with lines like “at least it’s not 4 degrees and raining like the last time I was here.” Super Duper Kudos to everyone who showed up, dumped out their shoes, wrang out their gloves and were generally Troopers.
In the words of Gordon, “You all deserve a scotch – make it a single malt – and bloody tumbler of it.”
Excellent conditions last night meant that three/four course records were reset – demolished may be more accurate in some cases. Excellent efforts all around, 31 riders on the course under variable East winds and sunny skies. July looks to be SPICY.
New Course Records:
Women’s EDDY – Brenda S: 40.32 (formerly Dionne S. @ 44.09 – 2014) (YOWZA!!)
1. Format will follow the same as yesteryears: 6 PM Registrations, 6:30 start. Park and register at the Cedar Beach Conservation Area parking lot (just south of Cedar Island Yacht Club, base of Heritage Rd and McCain Side Rd Kingsville)
2. Ladies first.
3. First-time riders will ride off the front of their respective gender category.
4. $10 donation/ride – 100% of proceeds to benefit ALS Windsor-Essex. Last year, we raised $816.43 (*not sure about that .43?!) which was donated to the Blake Clifford Memorial Fund. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
5. SHARE THE FREAKIN’ ROAD. Be aware and respectful of cars, adults, strollers, tractors, dogs, kids, etc. The course is open to any and all traffic and obstacles. Grin/grimace and get after it!
6. and finally, some minor details: the course is 24.7 km in length, out-and-back format, turnaround at CREW Winery.
It’s been a long, cold winter and we are so excited to see everyone out again! Hard to believe this is already the fourth year of the series – as Liam likes to remind me, the first ever was just him and Craig (timing is a thankless job, apparently.)
Looking forward to seeing some personal and overall records be DEMOLISHED this summer.
Last results of the year! I know a few riders had their best EVER times, and still others riding for the first EVER times. Dionne Shepley set a new Women’s Eddy Course Record 44:04(!!!) thus providing me inspiration to get out training. (It’s all about me, right?!) Way to go, Dionne!! Fastest times of the night go to Darryl and Laura!
Extra special THANK-YOU to Janelle Barbarian, official Farm Dog timer, who actually delayed moving back to Guelph in order to make the last trial.